What do you do if you’re hit by an uninsured driver?

When you are involved in a car accident, you often have to work with the other driver’s insurance company to receive compensation for your injuries. But as you are struggling to cover the medical expenses and vehicle repair bills that result from the accident, the worst case scenario is when the other driver doesnt have any auto insurance.

While every state requires drivers to have a base level of auto insurance, many drivers still fail to meet these standards. Whether you are in a hit-and-run accident or the other driver has no insurance at all, you have to explore other options to secure the compensation you need for your recovery.

Option 1: Sue the other driver

This one is a long shot, because if the other driver does not have auto insurance it often means they can’t afford it. Even if you have a bulletproof case against the other driver, they may not have the assets to cover the full damages of the accident, and you will still have to pay for the remaining expenses yourself.

Option 2: Work with your own insurance company

In many states, uninsured motorist insurance is optional. But in Illinois and Missouri, drivers are required to have uninsured motorist coverage if they are to meet the minimum auto insurance requirements. This means that you will have to work with your own insurance company to claim compensation for the accident.

Unfortunately, many insurance companies (including your own) will try to minimize the amount they have to pay, in an effort to maximize their own profits. Consider consulting in an attorney before talking to an insurance claims agent, and be careful not say anything that could lower the amount of money you are eligible to receive.