What are some of the biggest car accident mistakes?
Car accidents are a common occurrence on the busy roadways of Illinois. If you’re like many drivers, you may feel overwhelmed when you get involved in a wreck. You might not be able to think clearly about how you should respond in the aftermath of an accident. Unfortunately, even the smallest mistake could lead to lasting repercussions.
Mistakes to avoid after being in a car accident
Understanding what you should and shouldn’t do after a wreck is highly important. Here are some big mistakes you don’t want to make after a car accident:
- Failing to call the police: The police will gather information on the scene that can help you file an insurance claim.
- Admitting guilt: As much as you may want to apologize for what happened, you might not realize how anything you say could negatively impact you in the future.
- Not getting immediate medical attention: Even if you feel fine after a wreck, injuries may not always manifest symptoms at first.
- Accepting the first insurance offer: The first settlement that’s offered is often less than what victims are really entitled to.
- Not consulting with an attorney: An attorney may handle communications with the insurance company for you and help you fight for any compensation that you’re entitled to.
What should you do immediately after an accident?
With thousands of motor vehicle accidents happening each day across the country, knowing what to do immediately after an accident is helpful. First and foremost, make sure there are no injuries. If someone needs help, call 911. Second, move to safety, if possible, to avoid the risk of being struck by moving vehicles. Finally, file a claim with your insurance company at the scene.
Car accidents can be unnerving. Follow the above steps about how you should and shouldn’t respond if you’re involved in an accident to protect yourself and others. Legal assistance may help you file your insurance claims and ensure that you’re paid just compensation.