Injured by a drunk driver?

You hear about drunk driving-related collisions happening all the time. You never expected to be in one yourself, though, but here you are. You were injured by a drunk driver, and now you are wondering if you can seek compensation for your losses. The good news is, in Illinois, as in other states, you may file legal claims against the responsible party in an effort to seek monetary relief.

It does not matter where or when your accident occurred. It does not matter if the driver who hit you was only slightly buzzed or full-on impaired. Drunk drivers are negligent drivers, and according to state laws, they may be held criminally and civilly responsible for the damage and losses that they cause.

If you wish to seek compensation for any physical, financial or psychological damages stemming from your accident, it requires that you file a civil claim against the responsible party and/or his or her insurance provider. Before heading to court, there will usually be an attempt to reach settlement terms. If an agreeable settlement cannot be reached, litigation may be the only way to achieve fair and full relief, and that is okay. Legal counsel can help you through it.

Personal injury cases can take time to resolve, and they can be quite stressful. Thankfully, you do not have to work through your case alone. If you were injured by a drunk driver in the state of Illinois, you can speak to legal counsel about what compensation may be available to you and discuss the best way to approach the situation. To learn more about this topic, please take a moment and visit our firm’s website.