Excess Speed Is a Common Culprit in Dangerous Car Accidents
While there are all kinds of risky driving practices out there, speeding is one of the most common and one of the most dangerous. In fact, it’s hard to drive any distance at all without spotting a speeding motorist or two in your midst, and they are often the cause of serious traffic accidents. If another driver’s excess speed leaves you or someone you love injured, consult with an experienced car accident attorney serving Illinois and Missouri today.
Statistics across the board support the conclusion that drivers who speed are some of the most dangerous drivers on our roads. Consider the sobering statistics shared by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
- Excess speed played a key role in the deaths of 12,330 people in 2021 alone.
- Speeding contributed to 29 percent of all fatal traffic accidents in 2021.
The National Safety Council (NSC) reports that 2021 was the third year in a row that speed-related traffic deaths increased. In fact, there were more deaths caused by excess speed recorded in 2021 than in any year since 2007. Speed kills is not just a saying – it’s a fact.
In order for the other driver to be negligent in terms of speed, they don’t have to exceed the posted speed limit. Motorists are responsible for adjusting their driving speed downward in relation to all the following:
- Bad weather
- Low visibility
- Poorly maintained roads
- Road construction
- Debris, accidents, or animals on the road
Whether or not the other driver was speeding or not is relative to what was happening on the road. Speed limits are set for ideal driving conditions, and motorists who don’t take this into consideration make our roadways more dangerous for all of us.
Driving too fast is dangerous for a variety of reasons, including all the following:
- The greater the driver’s speed, the more chance there is that they’ll lose control of their vehicle and cause a serious accident.
- The greater the driver’s speed, the more stopping distance they require.
- The greater the driver’s speed, the more serious any accidents they cause are likely to be.
- The greater the driver’s speed, the less effective occupant protection equipment such as airbags and seat belts are.
The practiced car accident attorneys at Johnston Law Offices – proudly serving both Illinois and Missouri – recognize the immense danger associated with excess speed, and we have decades of imposing experience successfully protecting the legal rights of valued clients like you. Obtaining the compensation to which you are entitled can play a critical role in your recovery, and our commitment to your claim’s optimal outcome is unwavering. Learn more about what we can do to help you by contacting or calling us at 618-556-4056 today.