PLEASE NOTE: Johnston Law Offices P.C. remain open and available to serve you during the COVID-19 crisis. We are offering our clients the ability to meet with us in person or via telephone. Please call our office to discuss your options.

Johnston Law Offices P.C.
Call 24/7 For a Free Consultation


618-655-1234 | 866-655-6789

Can I seek relief after a hit-and-run car accident?

When involved in a motor vehicle accident, whether as a driver or a pedestrian, one would expect the responsible party to step up and accept liability. Unfortunately, that does not always happen. There are those who flee in an effort to escape any consequences. Most times hit-and-run drivers are caught, though sometimes they are not. If one is the victim of a hit-and-run car accident in the state of Illinois, even if the responsible party is not found, it may be possible to seek relief for one's losses through legal means.

Following a typical car crash, a victim has the opportunity to file a claim with the other driver's insurance provider. Following a hit-and-run collision, the victim, in order to seek relief, will need to file a claim with his or her own insurance provider. One would think that doing so would mean all damages experienced would be covered, but that is usually far from the case.

Insurance companies are in business to make money. While they are supposed to be in the business of taking care of their clients, they only want to do so in a manner that doesn't negatively impact their bottom line. When it comes to hit-and-run accidents, a claim may only be covered if the victim has uninsured motorist insurance. The compensation offered, if any, will be within the limits set in the policy. Considering the cost of a hit-and-run accident, due to medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering -- among other things -- the amount offered may be insufficient for one's needs.

An initial insurance offer does not have to be accepted. It may be possible to negotiate a better settlement amount. If negotiations fail, litigation in an Illinois civil court may be appropriate. A hit-and-run car accident victim can turn to an experienced personal injury attorney for a case review and assistance seeking maximum relief -- whether from the at-fault driver -- once he or she is located -- or the victim's own insurance company.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For a Response

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy


Office Location

Johnston Law Offices P.C.
420 South Buchanan Street
Edwardsville, IL 62025

Toll Free: (866) 655-6789
Phone: (618) 655-1234
Fax: (618) 655-0624
Edwardsville Law Office Map